Sunday, April 12, 2009

Cheestro Awnasty

Whenever I hear the traditional Greek greeting on Easter morn, “Christos Anesti! (He is risen!)”, I always think of John Corbett in My Big Fat Greek Wedding. His fiancée is teaching him how to properly greet his soon-to-be in-laws. He manages as best he can before she smiles that sweet “I love you just the way you are” smile and assures him he’s gotten it right. Sometimes I’m pretty sure that’s what God does with me.

Still, I’ve always loved those joyous, triumphant words declared from the front of a sanctuary.

He is risen!

He is risen, indeed!

Having spent our last three Easters in Lubbock, TX with Jason’s sister’s family, we had to come up with our own plan this year. We visited a new church (which I cannot even go into because it was such a disappointing service. Terribly egocentric on the part of the teaching pastor. Very little mention of Christ’s resurrection. We didn’t even sing “Christ the Lord Is Risen Today"”. Hmmm. I got into it. Imagine that.) and then hit one of the coolest eateries on the Northshore part of downtown Chattanooga, Good Dog. Seriously, I think a Carolina Chili/Slaw Dog might need to become part of my Easter traditions.

Is there anything more soothing on a sunny, breezy Sunday afternoon than The Masters Tournament on TV? I think not. It was the soundtrack to our afternoon and early evening, then it was on to the local dog park with Knox.

DSC_0645

You think he was happy?

DSC_0684

He even found himself a little girlfriend. He’s such a playah.

DSC_0710

The other golden dog in this pic ran full force into a water hydrant while they were playing. I am not even kidding. It was one of the funniest things I have ever seen. He eventually shook it off and gave Knox a good run for his money.

DSC_0755And then Knox gave him one right in the kisser. That’s my boy.

DSC_0720

They eventually made up and enjoyed some synchronized running.

After we let Knox run around enough to ensure that he wouldn’t spend the evening mournfully staring at us in a plea to go outside, we headed home to make good use of the Paas Easter Egg Dying Kit that I managed to wrestle out of a woman’s hands yesterday at Wally World.

I jest. Maybe. It was a free-for-all in there. Note to self: purchase Easter supplies more than twenty-four hours before Easter next year.

DSC_0077

As soon as I dropped those little tablets into the vinegar I was eight years old and back at the bar in my grandparent’s house with all my cousins.

DSC_0073  DSC_0082

Only now, I’m way neater and I have a much cuter apron. I’ve decided sassy vintage aprons need to become party of my homemaking wardrobe. Courtney Jane inspired me, she’s good like that.

DSC_0093

And so, with our team eggs properly completed, I think I can call this Easter good. Different, not what I might have expected (in both disappointing and wonderfully exhilarating ways), but still full of the joy and hope that were promised when Christ rose from the grave.

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:10 AM

    Great pictures..have you missed your calling?
    We had 13 for Easter meal Sunday. The doors and windows were open, the breezes gentle. Yard games ensued. You might want to try the honey mustard pork loin and definitely the matzo butter crunch- totally not kosher but oh so good! Wish you and Jason had come to Durham!
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVED the pics from the dog park! And your Tar Heel egg is fabulous!
    Ummm.... chilli slaw dog..... drooling now......

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loving the Tennessee egg! Hope y'all had a good Easter- I've been sick sick sick for a week, but I'm on the mend I do believe. Congrats on your Tarheel's if I didn't tell you.
    I'm not sure if I mentioned to you that I taught Brandon Wright in high school (I know that's not how you spell his name- but I cannot for the life of me remember how he spelled it) Anyhoo- a great kid- we all wished he'd stayed at UNC a little longer before going to the draft.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I heart your freckled faced pup!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous5:28 PM

    I especially like the last doggie picture where the galloping, gamboling reds have knocked the little black, brown dog on his tail. Love the action shots!
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used to dye eggs at my Grandmother's too at Easter. I love your Tarheel egg. Your dogs sure had fun playing, didn't they?
    Have a great week. Love & blessings from NC!

    ReplyDelete

Love me some comments! If you don't have a Google/Gmail ID, please make sure you leave your name and/or email. Also, I moderate my comments so don't be alarmed if it doesn't show up right away. Thanks, y'all!