Monday, December 19, 2011

Christmas means getting my crafty on until 3:30 in the morning, y'all.

And as such, an already prepared Christmas questionnaire sounds like the perfect idea for a blog post today.

1. Eggnog or Hot Chocolate? Venti Salted Caramel Hot Chocolate from Starbucks, please.

2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree? Santa is a freaking rockstar and leaves gorgeously filled stocking and the big gifts artistically displayed around the tree in such a way that creates the most magic.

3. Multi-colored lights on the tree or white? Oh lord, we had this debate three years ago in our house. I've been converted to white lights, but I reserve the right to go back to multi-colored whenever the mood strikes.



4. Do you hang mistletoe? Like I need an excuse to make out with my husband...

5. When do you put your decorations up? Despite the pressure that corporate America is putting on all of us, my decorations go up after Thanksgiving and NO EARLIER.

6. What is your favorite holiday dish? The Cruise Family Secret Recipe Chocolate Chip Cookies, Sweet Potato Casserole, Jason's pork tenderloin, PW's Cinnamon Rolls, my mom's Breakfast Goulash. Don't make me pick just one, it's not possible. I'm southern.

7. Favorite holiday memory as a child? Every year since I was born, Mom has given me an angel ornament. Every year I would anticipate the new angel ornament (and Allie's new Santa ornament) because Mom did such a good job picking ones that fit our personality or interests or things that were going on that year. It's still one of my favorite things about Christmas!

8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa? I was in 4th grade and looking at some pictures that Mom had recently gotten developed from Christmas morning. In one of them, everything was set up just like Santa had left it on Christmas morning but I noticed that the TV was on and an episode of "The Dick Van Dyke" show was playing on Nick at Nite. Right then, I realized that Santa wasn't real. Don't worry, though, I was happy to play along as long as I still got loads of presents under the tree. Greedy little punk...

9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve? We never did when I was growing up, but Jason and I do now.

10. How do you decorate your christmas tree? A strand of white lights around the trunk of the tree so it illuminates from the inside out and shows off the ornaments. White lights around the outer branches (for now, see Question #3) and the vast ornament collection that's been handed down, given to and gathered by me over the years. Simple, sweet and full of meaning on every branch.

11. Snow! Love it or dread it? I love snow as long as I have my husband, tomato soup and cinnamon rolls in the house.

12. Can you ice skate? Yes, and one of my favorite birthdays from my 20's was an ice skating party. Random, sorry.

13. Do you remember your favorite gift? One of my absolute favorites was when I was eight years old. My Aunt Joann had drawn my name that year in our gift exchange and she gave my bookwormy little self an entire box full of brand spankin' new Nancy Drew mysteries.


I was pretty jazzed. Also, try to contain your jealousy and not covet my suh-weet Coke sweatshirt and Swatch watch.

14. What's the most important thing about the holidays for you? After several rough Christmases at the start of our marriage, the most important thing to me now is that I get to celebrate with Jason and that at some point we celebrate with one of our families.

15. What is your favorite holiday dessert? See Question #6

16. What is your favorite holiday tradition? In the tradition of my annual angel ornament, Jason and I exchange ornaments as well. We give each other an ornament that is symbolic of something in the past year. You can see some of those here and here.

17. What tops your tree? The angel of courage!


18. Which do you prefer, giving or receiving? I looooooove to give gifts. I'm filled with a giddy joy every year as I plot and plan what to make or buy folks, what will make them especially happy or be something that is especially unique. I've been especially crafty for the last few Christmases and I think Jason is mourning losing me to the craft room this time of year.

19. Candy canes, yuck or yum? Eh. I wouldn't turn one down, but I'm not grief stricken if I go an entire Christmas without eating one.

20. Favorite Christmas movie? Hands down, without a doubt, absolute favorite Christmas movie that I quote (along with Jason, his family and mine) all the ding dang year- "National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation." I watched it with Mom and Allie at Thanksgiving. Jason and I watched it with a group of our Chatt friends a couple of weeks ago. I just need to sit down and watch it with my in-laws and I will have hit the trifecta.
{Want to see my absolute favorite part that makes me cry laughing? Go watch this. Sorry about the language, but it's just so funny!}

21. Saddest Christmas song? Justin Bieber, "Mistletoe." Actually, you know what? Any Christmas song sung by Justin Bieber is the saddest Christmas song.

22. What is your favorite Christmas song? "In the First Light" by Travis Cottrell. There aren't words. Just watch, or even better, close your eyes and listen. And then when you're done, go to iTunes and buy his Christmas album "Ring the Bells." I promise you won't regret it.



But the song that makes me happy and nostalgic and reminds me of pure joy in Christmas? It would be staring at this album cover and listening to this song. The part at 0:36 is my FAVORITE.



{When Animal starts hollerin' "WON'T GO! WON'T GO!"...oh my word, I giggle so hard I can't breathe...}

1 comment:

  1. the angel you have on top of your tree - my mom bought me one from that collection the day after i announced i was pregnant, of the angel mommy holding her child. *tears*

    ReplyDelete

Love me some comments! If you don't have a Google/Gmail ID, please make sure you leave your name and/or email. Also, I moderate my comments so don't be alarmed if it doesn't show up right away. Thanks, y'all!