Thursday, November 10, 2005

But he's not sterotyping or anything...

So today the kids planned the lunch menu for Shiloh Day next Wednesday. We've been reading the book, a wonderful story set in West Virginia about a young boy, Marty, who finds and rescues a mistreated dog, Shiloh, from a very mean man, Judd Travers. Very mean. The kids don't like him at all. They're smart that way.

Every year, I ask the kids to name all the foods that are mentioned in the book and then we plan a menu based on those foods. Inevitably, it ends up being a good 'ol fashioned down home country meal. And sure enough, this year it's the standard fried chicken, biscuits, peach cobbler, baked bean kind of meal.

I have to confess that I do a little tweaking to get a menu that is actually edible and appetizing. Today, as the kids named drinks mentioned in the book, I was anxious to get sweet tea up on the board as a drink option. I said to them, "Now, I know it's not mentioned, but since this story takes place in a southern state, a kind of country setting, what's something that goes along with that?"

A sweet little man up front, with eyes wide and earnest, pipes up, "Beer?"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love me some comments! If you don't have a Google/Gmail ID, please make sure you leave your name and/or email. Also, I moderate my comments so don't be alarmed if it doesn't show up right away. Thanks, y'all!