Monday, May 28, 2007

Mmmmm, a day off

Of course, it should be acknowledged that we all have a day off due to Memorial Day. And lest it go unsaid, the real reason we celerate today is to honor all those who have fought for our country and our freedom over the years. So thank you to my Grandaddy and my sister and thousands of others who work so dilligently to protect our freedom. I am grateful for you everyday.

The three day weekend has inspired me to be particularly domestic. I planted flowers into a very special bucket that Meg (one of my Trinity 4th graders) made me as a goodbye gift.









I finally (as Jason said, "It only took you five months!") put my closet into efficient working order. I also moved my clothes from my dresser to the bottom cubbies of the entertainment center we moved into our room.














Today's project is to take this:









and turn it into panels for the two side cubbies. Which meant that a trip to Hancock Fabric was in order. Fabric stores were a second home to me when I was growing up because Mom made most of our clothes when we were little.














Once I hit 12, I kind of hated it. And then when I hit 16 I was dying for her to make me something that would be cute and fit my incredibly high-waisted body. Piece Goods was my mom's store of choice back in NC. That and a specialty fabric shop on Country Club Road. That was where she got the really nice fabric for our fancy dresses. Anyhow, being the bookworm child I would always head straight to the pattern books. I'd pull out the orange plastic chair that always squeaked across the floor and begin flipping through the oversized Butterick, McCall, and Simplicity books. I wasn't to be bothered with the patterns in the front but would head straight to the back. That's where the costume patterns were located. I'm sure it would shock and surprise you, dear reader, to know that I was always drawn to the Wizard of Oz costumes. And one year, I actually got one.



Being at Hancock Fabrics yesterday, buying my own sewing supplies felt comfortably familiar. Even if I couldn't name them off the top of my head, I knew just what labels to look for, just what ruler to buy. I even recognized the really good scissors that we were never allowed to touch. I now know why. Those suckers are expensive! So I settled for a perfectly good, reasonably priced pair that Jason and our future children will never be allowed to touch. Life comes full circle.

(Okay. I couldn't resist. Here's the other half of that Halloween pic. I love you Allie!)

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:05 AM

    Oh my Leslie Ruth!
    Just checking up on you and loved seeing you being crafty! I LOVE the bucket. What a cute idea.

    But I had to write to say that I spy the Nicholas Sparks book "Three Weeks With My Brother" on your shelf. That is one of my all time favorite books and I JUST THIS MORNING recommended it to a friend. It's one of the few books I have actually purchased in the last year or so. Our book budget was out of control once the boys started reading. So now we VISIT Barnes & Noble but get our books from the library!

    Hope you are doing well. I'll try to email or call you soon to catch up!

    Penney

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, great pics, Leslie. Thanks for this! I want to see the finished result of your sewing project (love the fabric), so please post them when you've finished.

    Also, thanks for your sweet phone message on my school voice mail. What a lovely gift! It's hard to believe the school year is over....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:55 PM

    haha! thanks for that pic!

    ReplyDelete

Love me some comments! If you don't have a Google/Gmail ID, please make sure you leave your name and/or email. Also, I moderate my comments so don't be alarmed if it doesn't show up right away. Thanks, y'all!