Monday, November 26, 2007

All in my mind?

"I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me, and 90% how I react to it. And so it is with you ... we are in charge of our Attitudes." ~ Charles Swindoll

You can see this quote on a poster in the bathroom of Hyman's down in Charleston, SC. Interesting place for inspiring words but I suppose they do have your undivided attention in that environment.

Anyway, I've seen this quote a lot. And you hear this a lot from well meaning folks when you're going through something you don't want to or annoying parents when you have to do something you don't want to. Problem is, I don't really freaking care how I respond to that 10% right now. Don't give a rip. It's too much effort and it's so much easier to throw myself a pity party, snap at my husband, and sulk. Even typing that I see how I ridiculous I'm being. But it's still there. My anger, frustration, the incredibly short fuse that resides in my emotions. I know that I have to choose gratefulness. Choose to trust that God has a purpose in the midst of all this nonsense. Choose to look for the best instead of focusing on the crap. But what if I don't want to? What then? Just wondering...

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:43 AM

    Time will provide the greatest insight to stupid, heartbreaking things Les...just keep yourself well right now and recognize that sometimes anger and frustration aren't bad emotions.
    Holley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear, you'll be miserable!

    Praying that by God's grace you will choose gratefulness and trust. You may not, and surely these rocky times will pass, but a spirit seasoned by grace can look at these times and weep at the ickiness of the broken world, but have hope.

    Love you--

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:47 PM

    Leslie - Know that I am sending a hug from afar. Hang on, keep talking to God. Keep taking care of yourself. Know, above all, that you are precious to so many, far and wide.

    ReplyDelete

Love me some comments! If you don't have a Google/Gmail ID, please make sure you leave your name and/or email. Also, I moderate my comments so don't be alarmed if it doesn't show up right away. Thanks, y'all!