Thursday, October 11, 2012

Taking a Stand

Perhaps like me, you have found yourself in an intense season of debate. You've been weighing the pros and cons of each side, examining the merits of each player, listening to the various arguments for why one is a better choice than the other.

It's difficult and confusing at times. Controversial, even, especially down here in the south. Yet, the time comes when you know you need to just take a stand, pick a side and make your voice heard.

Well, it's my blog and my voice and I'm just going to be honest with y'all.



The only choice for me this year and any year is the original cast of "Steel Magnolias." 


And if you disagree with me..well, as Ouisa said, you can just take it and shove it where the sun don't shine.

Pink may not be my signature color, but you can be sure I know the difference between blush and bashful. One is much deeper than the other.

From these women I learned:

 ...that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of manure.

...if you can achieve puberty, you can achieve a past.

...that which does not kill us makes us stronger.

...there's no such thing as natural beauty.

...time marches on and eventually you find it's marchin' across your face.

...grape or aubergine- doesn't matter because nobody cares about that grape shit.

...all gay men have track lighting. And all gay men are named Rick, Mark or Steve.

...personal tragedy should not interfere with your ability to do good hair.

...if you don't have anything nice to say, come sit by me!

...I have a strict policy that nobody cries alone in my presence.

...laughter through tears is my favorite emotion.

...and most of all, the only thing that separates us from the animals is our ability to accessorize! *

There is no one other than Sally, Olympia, Shirley, Julia, Dolly and Daryl who could fill the roles of M'Lynn, Clairee, Ouisa, Shelby, Truvy and Annelle. 

NO ONE. Not any cast that Lifetime picks, no ma'am. I watched about a half hour of that heresy and it didn't come close to the treasure that is the original. They couldn't capture the depth, the strength, the humor, the need to nurture and protect even while maintaining a beautiful facade {"I don't know how you're doing on the inside, but your hair's just holdin' up beautiful."}

If you haven't seen it or just want to watch it for the hundredth time,  come on over and watch it with me anytime!

Love y'all more'n my luggage,
Your Southern Drama Queen

*For the record, I didn't have to look up a single one of these. They are so deeply ingrained into my genetic makeup now that I'm likely to pass them on to my children in utero someday. 

7 comments:

  1. duly noted. I won't even bother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So you. I'll admit you had me scared for a second :-).
    Love you more than my luggage,
    Marmee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The funny thing is, I wrote this not even realizing the VP debates were that night! xoxo

      Delete
  3. NO WAY. From memory. Dang girl, what a great thing to have on your sleeve.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:41 PM

    Mwahaha! LOVE this. At first I was all tense thought, "Oh no. I'm going to have to listen to another political soapbox." Then you smacked me with this. Made me giggle. :)

    Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I cried watching the new one too--can't help it. But it did not hold a candle to the original. I could tell they were ACTING. So weird to have lines from the original...I kept looking for Dolly Parton!

    ReplyDelete

Love me some comments! If you don't have a Google/Gmail ID, please make sure you leave your name and/or email. Also, I moderate my comments so don't be alarmed if it doesn't show up right away. Thanks, y'all!